Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Experience in the Sport

 I started playing and noticing the sport in grade 5. The sport was not familiar to me since it was not as popular in the Philippines as it is now. One day, during recess, my friends invited me to play volleyball. At first I didn't really want to since I didn't know how to play, but played anyways, to try something new. As we started, I managed to bump the ball to other people or across the line we made (was our net). Many told me that I had the potential of playing the sport and being on the school team. They told me that I had lots of power and  I was very focused,but was having fun at the same time when playing the sport.

Since that day, I tried out for our grade 6 volleyball team the following year. During the try-outs I felt like I wasn't going to make it, surprisingly, I did make the team. I was so happy that I was part of the team, and excited to improve on my skills. Unfortunately, the team did not have lots of practice, and basically lost every game we had. Out of the players on the court, only one player knew what she was doing; digging the ball up or blocking the ball. Even though we lost all games, I managed to learn from it, and strive harder to succeed (on my skills and become even better than before).

In grade 7, I also tried out for our school volleyball team. During the try-outs, I felt that I became better and was going to make the team once again. The team cut was made and I was devastated. Instead of getting excited for our upcoming tournaments and practice, I did not make the team and had to move on from it. It was hard moving on because I really wanted to make it; I cried so much but managed to move on. 

In grade 8, I tried out again for the school team and to see if I was lucky. This time I made the team and strived to work harder, so my coach did not think that it was a bad idea putting me on the team. It was the best thing that has happened in my life; it was one of the best teams I had been in and practiced and played with. This was the year where high school volleyball was introduced to us. We were all given our positions and practicing over-hand serves. I got to be the team's setter, and unfortunately did not succeed in over-hand serves as of yet. In this team, our coach pushed us to harder work-outs and practices, but taught us how to relax and to be calm at the same time (after every work-out). He taught us how breathing techniques to calm ourselves up and to focus better.

When high school came, grade 9, I was positive that I was going to try-out for the school's junior girls volleyball team. The team consisted of both grade 9 and 10 students, there were lots of good people, therefore, making the team needed lots of great work and determination. I tried out along with my friends and didn't make the team. That time too, I became devastated. I was so positive and excited, and had a gut feeling about it, but became to be one of the many things that made myself esteem lower. I told myself that I was going to give up and let go of being a volleyball player. Although I was having this depressing moment in my life, I learned from it and told my 'new' self to strive more and that I will eventually get it. During this time period, after being depressed, I was able to practice some volleyball- during gym and outside of school. I managed to have better ball control, passing and better over-hand serves.

This year, grade 10, I tried out for the team once again. Weeks before the try-outs, me and my two other best friends went to a community centre (Miliken Park Community Centre), every Saturday, where they offered the gym for free, for free playing or practice. The week of the try-outs, just like last year, I thought that I was going to make it; it turns out I didn't make it. Many were surprised because I had the skills required and my over-hand serves were really good and powerful (from people's point of view, not trying to bribe or show off). At this point, I still had that thought of giving up and maybe just watching and dreaming that I was on the team. I felt more frustrated when the coach was favoring others from last year's players, therefore, he mostly picked them. And to me favoring on players is one of the major reasons why I think twice about joining the school teams anymore. Despite of all the misfortunes, I began to push myself forward and to keep trying. 

By learning from all the frustrations I had, I am now able to convince myself to not give up and to try and try again. From all the achievements I had, I am now able to strive harder for success, to be more positive and look up, and to be more determined. 


                               



Sources:
Images:

"Failures Are The Gateway To Success In Entrepreneurship." Bizadfin Resources. Bizadfin Resources/Midas Touch, n.d. Web.

"Re: Crippled by Success, Crippled by Failure?" Web log comment. Nicholas Ferguson. N.p., n.d. Web.






No comments:

Post a Comment